Mercedes-Benz is taking a big step into the future with the tenth-generation E-Class Sedan, which delivers stylish highlights with its distinct, emotional design and high-grade interior. The launch of the new E-Class also marks the world premiere of numerous technical innovations that enable enhanced comfort, a new level of safe driving, and a new dimension in driver assistance, including the Active Lane-change Assistant. Other exemplary features include a new infotainment and control system, lightweight design and new, optionally available multi-chamber air suspension that ensures outstanding ride comfort and driving dynamics. The sum total of these innovations makes the E-Class the most intelligent sedan in the world.
"The E-Class sits at the core of the Mercedes-Benz brand, and has historically redefined the standards of the business-class segment. It continues this tradition with a wealth of top-class innovations. The new E-Class takes another major step towards fully autonomous driving: it enhances efficiency, safety and comfort, reduces stress, and intensifies driving pleasure," says Prof. Dr. Thomas Weber, Member of the Board of Management of Daimler AG, responsible for Group Research and Mercedes-Benz Cars Development.
Coupe-esque and Powerful
The new E-Class is sophisticated, confidently stylish and sporty. Compared with its predecessor, its wheelbase length has grown by 65 millimetres, its overall length by 43 millimetres. Its design displays hallmark Mercedes-Benz sedan proportions. The elongated hood, coupled with a coupe-esque roof flowing into a sensual, broad-shouldered tail end, creates an exciting silhouette. The powerfully extended body of the vehicle is characterized by short overhangs, a long wheelbase, large wheels and taut, well-defined flanks displaying a fresh, stylish and dynamic interpretation of the feature line. All of which allows the E-Class to deliver the perfect take on the Mercedes-Benz design philosophy of "Sensual Purity".
A muscular front end underlines the status to which the business-class sedan aspires, boasting a different look for each model. The two different radiator grille designs lend the E-Class a distinct character: the classic Mercedes-Benz radiator grille with the star on the hood, or the sportier radiator grille with a large Mercedes-Benz star as its centrepiece.
Broad shoulders above the rear wheel arches lend the E-Class its unmistakably powerful character. Single-piece tail lights featuring a two-bar design framed by the vehicle body clearly identify the E-Class as a new member of the Mercedes-Benz sedan family. Rear lights provide additional levels of detail with an appearance designers refer to as the "stardust effect." Debuting on the new E-Class, this "stardust effect" is created using innovative reflector technology and a specially configured surface structure for the tail lights.
Next Level Interior Design
The E-Class is optionally available with two displays, each with a 12.3-inch screen and a resolution of 1920 x 720 pixels. These merge visually to form a wide-screen cockpit, and act as a central element that emphasizes the horizontal bias of the vehicle's interior design. The wide-screen cockpit contains a large display with virtual instruments that align directly with the driver's field of vision, as well as a central display above the centre console. A common glass cover results in a modern flat-screen look. The wide-screen instrument cluster can be changed between three different design styles: "Classic," "Sport," and "Progressive."
Touch-sensitive control buttons ("Touch Controls") on the steering wheel appear in a car for the first time. They respond precisely to horizontal and vertical swiping movements just like a smartphone interface, which allows the driver to control the entire infotainment system from the steering wheel. This new control interface minimizes driver distraction, and is in keeping with the expression "hands on the wheel, eyes on the road."
Further infotainment system controls are provided by a touchpad with controller, located in the centre console, which includes handwriting recognition among its features, and the LINGUATRONIC voice control system. There are also direct-access buttons to control functions such as the air-conditioning system or – in another first – for convenient activation and deactivation of certain driver assistance systems.
This all-new operating experience is enhanced by a simplified logic paired with new, intelligent graphic design with high-resolution visualizations and animations. At the same time, occupants enjoy a sensual interior with spacious architecture, which combines elegance with sportiness.
Intelligent Material Design
High-quality materials define the interior style of the E-Class: open-pore wood, novel metal fabric, and leather coverings reveal meticulous attention to detail. On selected models, the use of authentic materials continues throughout the interior with leather-covered doors and the beltline. The material and colour options are just as carefully composed, and include new attractive colour combinations such as nut brown/macchiato and saddle brown/macchiato.
Lighting Atmosphere with 64 Colours
Interior lighting in the E-Class, including enhanced ambient lighting, comprises exclusive durable, energy-saving LED technology. With 64 colours, it offers a host of possibilities for personalization, and adds touches of light to the trims, central display, front stowage facility, handle recesses, door pockets, front and rear footwells, overhead console, and tweeters (if the vehicle is equipped with the Burmester® high-end 3D surround sound system).
First Class Seat Design
Seats in the E-Class are another impressive highlight of this new generation vehicle. Their ergonomic, sculptural form combines Mercedes-Benz's hallmark comfort over long journeys with a refined, sporty look and unique design. Another new feature in this segment is a Warmth Comfort package that includes heated armrests in the doors and on the centre console.
The rear bench seat in the new E-Class Sedan comes with a three-piece backrest with a 40/20/40 split, making it exceptionally versatile. Integral features of the centre armrest include a storage box and two pop-out drink holders.
New Engine Generation
The new E-Class comes with a choice of two engines at market launch: the E 300 4MATIC comes equipped with a turbocharged four-cylinder gasoline engine, and the E 400 4MATIC features a V6 biturbo engine. All engines for the new E-Class are equipped with the ECO start/stop function.
|E 300 4MATIC
|E 400 4MATIC
All E-Class models will come equipped with the new 9G-TRONIC nine-speed automatic transmission. This transmission enables fast gear changes and allows low engine revs while cruising, to the benefit of both efficiency and noise levels.
Suspension – Sporty Comfort
The suspension on the new E-Class Sedan offers agile driving pleasure on winding roads as well as the highest level of ride comfort in this segment. It is equipped with DIRECT CONTROL steel suspension with selective damping.
AIR BODY CONTROL Multi-Chamber Air Suspension
The new E-Class can be equipped with a multi-chamber air suspension at all corners – the only car in its segment to offer this option. Three chambers of different size in the spring struts of the rear axle and two in the spring struts of the front axle make it possible to control, in three stages, how firmly the suspension reacts to the road. In this way, the occupants enjoy a soft base suspension, together with the secure feeling of good handling stability as speed increases.
Furthermore, the highly sensitive and fast-responding AIR BODY CONTROL multi-chamber air suspension features all-round self-levelling for excellent ride comfort even with the vehicle fully loaded. It automatically controls the ride height depending on the speed and reduces fuel consumption on the highway, for example, by lowering the vehicle. When driving on rough roads, ground clearance can also be increased at the push of a button.
The multi-chamber air suspension is supplemented by a continuously operating, electronically controlled damping adjustment system, which automatically adapts the damping on each individual wheel to the current driving situation and road conditions. The system therefore delivers good road roar and tire vibration characteristics, excellent ride comfort, and outstanding driving dynamics.
A DYNAMIC SELECT switch in the cockpit enables the driver to select from four AIR BODY CONTROL modes: "Comfort", "ECO", "Sport" and "Sport+". The additional "Individual" option allows drivers to configure their vehicle to suit their own preferences.
Next-Generation Driver Assistance Systems
Mercedes-Benz's new assistance and safety systems take safety, comfort and driver assistance to a new level.
Active Brake Assist is able to warn the driver of impending crash situations, provide just the right level of support during emergency braking and, if necessary, apply the brakes automatically. In addition to slower-moving, stopping or stationary vehicles, it can also detect pedestrians crossing the danger zone ahead of the vehicle.
Additional standard equipment includes ATTENTION ASSIST with adjustable sensitivity, which can warn the driver of inattentiveness and drowsiness, as well as Crosswind Assist, which can assist the driver by substantially mitigating the effects of strong crosswinds to prevent the vehicle from drifting too far off track.
Highlights of the optional Intelligent Drive Package that make the E-Class the most intelligent sedan in its class include:
- DRIVE PILOT: This system represents Mercedes-Benz's next step along the road to autonomous driving. While both on the highway and country roads, Distance Pilot DISTRONIC is not only able to automatically maintain the selected distance from the vehicle in front, but for the first time it can also follow the traffic in front at speeds of up to 210 km/h. This can make life easier for the driver, who no longer needs to operate the brake or accelerator pedal during normal driving and also receives plenty of steering assistance from the Steering Pilot – even on moderate bends. Another unique feature of Steering Pilot is that the system can continue to actively intervene by taking account of surrounding vehicles and parallel structures, even if the lines are unclear or non-existent, as they can be during road construction, even at speeds up to 130 km/h. The system therefore makes driving much easier, especially in traffic jams or heavy congestion. Another feature that helps to relieve the workload on the driver in such situations is the extended restart function, which allows automatic starting of the vehicle within 30 seconds following a stop initiated by the Distance Pilot DISTRONIC on highways or similar roads.
Additional DRIVE PILOT innovations include, for the first time, Active Lane-change Assist. This radar and camera-based system assists the driver when changing lanes on multi-lane roads and can steer the vehicle into the lane selected by the driver – when overtaking, for example. Once the driver has indicated a turn for at least two seconds, Active Lane-change Assist assists with steering into the adjacent lane if it detects that the lane is unoccupied.
- Active Brake Assist with Cross-Traffic Function: Compared with the standard version, this system has extended speed thresholds with respect to vehicles and pedestrians. Furthermore, it can detect crossing traffic at junctions and, if the driver fails to respond, apply the brakes autonomously. For the first time, it can also detect hazardous situations at the tail end of traffic jams where there is no room to manoeuvre and initiate autonomous braking far sooner in such situations. Consequently, it is possible to completely avoid accidents at speeds up to 100 km/h or substantially reduce the severity of accidents at speeds above this level.
- Evasive Steering Assist: This likewise new system ideally complements the pedestrian detection function of Active Brake Assist. When the driver deliberately or instinctively performs an evasive manoeuvre in a dangerous situation, this function can assist by adding precisely calculated steering torque to support the movement of the steering wheel. This helps the driver to avoid, for instance, a pedestrian in a controlled manner while subsequently facilitating the straightening-up of the vehicle to allow the situation to be negotiated safely.
- Advanced Assistance Systems: The intelligent assistance systems in the new Intelligent Drive Package also include proven systems that have been further developed in terms of their mode of operation and the sensors they use. Active Lane Keeping Assist can help stop the driver from unintentionally changing lane, this being done by corrective one-sided application of the brakes, including in the case of broken lines and risk of collision, e.g. with oncoming traffic or fast overtaking vehicles. Active Blind Spot Assist can now also warn of the risk of a lateral collision in typical urban traffic at low speeds and, as before, correctively intervene at the last moment to prevent a collision at speeds above 30 km/h. PRE-SAFE® PLUS can also protect against collisions with traffic following behind, reducing whiplash and other adverse effects on the occupants.
Furthermore, the range of new features in the new E-Class includes:
- PRE-SAFE® Impulse Side: This system is part of the Intelligent Drive Package. If a lateral collision has been detected and is imminent, it preventively moves the driver or front passenger away from the danger zone to the side. To do this, the system inflates an air chamber in the side bolster of the front seat backrest nearest the side of the imminent impact in a fraction of a second, thus increasing the distance between occupant and door and, at the same time, reducing the forces acting on the occupants.
- PRE-SAFE® Sound: This system is based on a human reflex in the inner ear, called the stapedius reflex. PRE-SAFE® Sound emits a short interference signal through the vehicle's sound system if the risk of a collision is detected. This signal can trigger the natural reflex and thus prepare the occupants' ears for the expected sound of the accident.
- High-resolution MULTIBEAM LED headlamps, each with 84 individually controlled high-performance LEDs, automatically illuminate the road with a hitherto unsurpassed, precision-controlled distribution of exceptionally bright light – without dazzling other road users. That's because this grid allows the light distribution of the left and right headlamps to be controlled separately and adapted to the changing situation on the road quickly and dynamically. For the time, all functions of the Active LED High Performance Lighting System in low-beam and high-beam mode can be depicted purely digitally and without mechanical actuators, including as a world first a purely electronically implemented active light function.
Ideally connected, and not a cable in sight
An all-new infotainment generation is making its debut in the E-Class equipped with COMAND Online. Its highlights, alongside the available double display, include the touch-sensitive Touch Control Buttons on the steering wheel. The optional wireless, inductive charging system works with all mobile devices that either support the Qi standard or can be upgraded to this standard. The charging pad, built into the storage facility at the front of the centre console, is compatible with mobile phones with a screen diagonal of up to 15.2 cm (6 inches). Telephone calls are then routed via the Bluetooth® hands‑free system automatically.
Three-dimensional listening pleasure
The Mercedes-Benz-developed Frontbass system in the new E‑Class delivers a unique listening experience, utilizing space in the cross-member and side member of the body structure as a resonance chamber for the bass speakers. If the vehicle is also equipped with the optional Burmester® high-end 3D surround sound system that includes 23 loudspeakers, the occupants are treated to a listening experience reminiscent of the acoustics in a concert hall, as it includes a third dimension of sound courtesy of roof speakers.
Robust yet lightweight bodyshell
An outstandingly stiff body forms the basis for exceptional handling, astonishingly low noise and vibration levels, and a high level of crash safety. To achieve this, the engineers opted for a bodyshell with a far higher proportion of aluminium and ultra-high-strength steel components than its predecessor. The front fenders, hood, trunk lid, and large sections of the front and rear ends are made of sheet or cast aluminium. This lightweight design reduces fuel consumption while making for perceptibly sporty and agile vehicle handling.
Against the wind
Aerodynamic performance is one of the main reasons behind the outstanding efficiency of the new E-Class. To achieve this, the aerodynamics experts had to optimize numerous details and implement new ideas. The sophisticated aerodynamics also minimize wind noise and ensure that the new E-Class is quieter than many luxury-class models.
About Mercedes-Benz Canada
Mercedes-Benz Canada is responsible for the sales, marketing and service of the Mercedes-Benz and Mercedes-AMG passenger vehicles, Mercedes-Benz Vans and smart. Headquartered in Toronto, Ontario, Mercedes-Benz Canada Inc. employs approximately 1,500 people in 21 locations across Canada. Through a nationwide network of 11 Mercedes-Benz owned retail operations and 47 authorized dealerships, Mercedes-Benz Canada sold 48,320 vehicles in 2016. This represents the best year ever for the company and has positioned Mercedes-Benz as the top luxury manufacturer in Canada for the third consecutive year.
For more information, please contact:
JoAnne Caza 416-847-7550 email@example.com
Further information from Mercedes-Benz is available on the internet at: www.media.mercedes-benz.ca